weekly note: September 18-22
We have been having a lot of fun in math-we have been working on taking "notices" and "wonderings" while estimating. We've also been working on place value and skip counting. Ask your kiddo about what we've been estimating and what they have noticed!? This week we'll continue practicing counting with tens and ones. Please feel free to practice skip counting by 2's, 5's and 10's and 1's at home!
Nouns were introduced today and students will be brainstorming and noticing various nouns from around the room-easy way to practice this in the car "I spy a noun....a person...place or thing?!"
In science we will be talking about the scientific method. We'll be making "eco-friendly"play dough, so be on the look out for that this Friday! Should be a fun week.
Please help build our library in our classroom by purchasing books from scholastic online! :)
Onward! Loving this cool down. We're transitioning smoother and smoother each week in our room. So nice to be back into routine. We're continuing counting and place value, so number charts and practice packets will be coming home. Use on your own time. I do not require finished work sent back.
Picking back up our handwriting next week. We've been covering a different vowel along with consonants each week. We've been reviewing the SHORT vowel sounds (you may have seen the word sorts come home) the vowel with the smiley swoop at the top means that it makes a short sound like /a/ apple or /i/ itch. Your child should be able to explain that to you ***FINGERS CROSSED! Continuing our reading stamina, sneak peak and good reading habits!
A few randoms: picture day (send forms back!), order scholastic orders :), please PAY FIELD TRIP FEE. SMARTTAG goes "LIVE" on MONDAY! I'll believe it when I see it....
Scholastic orders: great way to get your kiddo excited about reading, order some books and the MORE you order, the more books we get for FREE for our classroom library :) use the code: P9T3C at check out to give our class points! https://clubs.scholastic.com/1st-grade-2/
Rollin' into week 3! WHAT?! I've been pushing your kiddos and I am proud to say they are rising to the occasion :) Right now we are still figuring out boundaries and expectations, so if you see a signed calendar please just know that I am really trying to set the standards and teach expected behaviors. Talk to your kiddo about what's been written down, I promise we've chatted about it, so they know!
*library will be on Friday because we had to reschedule because of the holiday
We started talking about our hundreds chart last Friday and will continue to be practicing understanding patterns within the chart and we will begin skip counting. During math I like to call on the kids as "mathematician _______" we've been talking a lot about how mathematicians DEFEND and NOTICE different things. I will be linking one of my most favorite math teacher, Graham Fletcher's video that talks all about the progression of math. I highly recommend you watch it for perspective and so that you can see a little into where we're headed and why we teach the way we teach :)
Our sight words this week are: can, come, go *feel free to practice these are home!
PICTURE DAY is the 14th. Forms will come home on THURSDAY.
That's all from me,
Whew, we started the week with an eclipse and ended it with a hurricane...onward to week 2. I hope everyone has been snuggled up and relaxing from this past week. A few things....tomorrow we will be having a LATE START because of weather. Students will need to be at school by 9:40!
1. Tuesday will NOW be OUR back to school morning for 1st grade so please join us in the library for our presentation. We will be presenting as a unified 1st grade team and so there will not be much time to dive into the "little" things that we each do a little differently in our own individual classes. So please be on the lookout for more info. about that.
2. Please send in headphones for your kiddo. I request NO head buds (those get tangled and too tricky to squeeze into their little ears. PLEASE END THE HEADPHONES LABELED WITH your kid's NAME and NUMBER (they should know that)
3. MONDAY-I will begin to start sending Calendars home in the "daily communication" tab in the blue binder that will be coming home each day. This calendar is meant to be a good way for you and I to communicate about how the day went. If there are several days in a row where your kiddo has had me sign a little note- expect for me to touch base so we can talk through it. I have found that it's a good way for school and home to be connected.
4. library will begin tomorrow so be on the lookout for books coming home. Library will be EVERY Monday so please make sure YOUR CHILD helps to put those back in their bag every Sunday so that they can recheck new ones out. THANK YOU :)
I think that is it for now...please bare with me over these next few weeks because new things are always popping up. I will do my best to only send ONE email out a week because I do not want to overload you.
Thanks for your flexibility.
1st day in the books! Everyone did great today. Once we were out of the chaos of morning assembly we wrote our very first Thoughts and Jots entry, learned the ins-and-outs of of our classroom, read about First Day Jitters, listened to one another share during 30 Second News, watched the eclipse on the live stream AND even had time to play a partner math game. Troopers!
YOUR CHILD is coming home with their Smart Tag. It should come home and then come back to school each day. We will use it to: get on the bus, buy lunch, and check out books in the library. We discussed how it's THEIR responsibility to place in their bag each night. I recommend setting the rule at home that it just stays in the bag and never comes out because if they lose it, it costs $5 per new tag and they will need it EVERYDAY. It's a lot to keep up with, so we're trying to limit the movement.
PLEASE help try to reinforce this responsibility with it at home to help us stay aligned with the school expectation! We talked a lot about how it is not a toy but rather a tool that is used for specific purposes.
Thank you in advance for helping out with this! It's a new system so we are all learning as we go :)
P.S. Below is an encouraging video from a woman who spoke to our district over professional development days. Great ideas to begin our new year with!
1. Practice skip counting and nouns
2. take out finished work on THURSDAY and INITIAL on thursday line!
3. pay for field trip- if you haven't
4. HEADPHONES if you haven't sent them in
september 26- early release!
1st Grade Schedule
7:40-7:50 morning assembly
7:50-8:05 30 second news
9:30-9:50 brain break
10:35-11:35 language arts
11:35- 12:05 fitness/recess
12:30-1:00 language arts
1:00-1:50 science/social studies
A: art with mrs. smith
B: music with ms. hatch
C: pe with mrs. pate/mrs. rose
2:40-2:48 pack up